Wednesday, August 17, 2011

HOW TO EAT FRIED WORMS {Back to School Party}

Back to school means I try to throw a party for each of my kids to welcome the new school year. Let's be serious... I want to have a party for myself to celebrate their going back. I love them, but it is time... just sayin'. No, I will miss them. Hum, maybe I am undecided.

I was at a thrift store picking up books for my daughter's, "book and reading," themed party (tomorrow night). I happened upon,
"How to eat fried worms."
So, I bought it, and on the way home, decided that would be the theme for my son's party. I have a few other themes in mind, but want to save them for his upcoming birthdays.


Here's the invitation. It is even cuter in person. I made the invites in picasa, and had them printed at Costco. I loved the gummies and crunched cookie on the plate, and thought the fork and spoon added a fun touch.




Of course I made a banner :) Complete with utensils and worms.


Now onto the food detail:

The boys thought we were really going to eat worms, and were quite tentative about trying everything. It was kind of entertaining. I should have videoed it!

Dirt Cups
(Gummy worms, cookies, and chocolate pudding)
The key with dirt cups, is getting the 5oz cups. That way you don't have to make a ton of pudding (that may not be eaten anyway.) I made the pudding yesterday, and put the cookies and gummies on just before.


Cheese puffed worms
(Cheeto twists)


Frozen Worm Pops
(Tropicana pops $1 at Wal-mart)


Worm Straws
(for drinking worm juice)


Worms in Jello
(sour worms in jello, in small cups from Wal-mart)
I love the cups, and plan to use them for all sorts of things in the future! They were just enough. I am thinking they would be fun for Halloween too.


Cheesy Worms on Crackers
(squirty cheese)


Chocolate dipped Worms
I made these yesterday as well.


Fried Worms
(Hot dogs cut into 8ths, long way)


These looked so sick. It really freaked the boys out. I had to whisper to each boy that they weren't real, just hot dogs. I would whisper to and wink at each boy. I heard them whispering to each other as well. It was funny.



They had fun posing for pics :)



Here's all the food on a plate!
My kids were with me when I bought all the food. They kept telling my how they had never seen so much junk food at one time (I never buy it.) They were excited!



Party Favors

I gave each boy a CD with one of my favorite songs in it, and the words attached (as well as a few other songs my son likes).


Here are the words (opening song from Napoleon Dynamite) You can give it a listen here... it is really sweet:

WE’RE GOING TO BE FRIENDS
fall is here, hear the yell
back to school, ring the bell
brand new shoes, walking blues
climb the fence, books and pens
i can tell that we are gonna be friends

walk with me, suzy lee
through the park, by the tree
we will rest upon the ground
and look at all the bugs we've found
then safely walk to school
without a sound

well here we are, no one else
we’ll walk to school all by ourselves
there's dirt on our uniforms
from chasing all the ants and worms
we clean up and now it's time to learn

numbers, letters, learn to spell
nouns, and books, and show and tell
playtime, we will throw the ball
back to class, through the hall
teacher marks our height against the wall

we don't notice any time pass
we don't notice anything
we sit side by side in every class
teacher thinks that i sound funny
but she likes the way you sing

tonight i'll dream while i'm in bed
when silly thoughts go through my head
about the bugs and alphabet
when i wake tomorrow i'll bet
that you and i will walk together again
cause i can tell that we
are going to be friends

-The White Stripes


The boys got a little bored with the movie, and went back out to the bounce house. They were laughing, and liked it, but you know how boys are... they have SO MUCH ENERGY!
About the movie... It was fine, except one potty mouth part, where we just muted it, and the boy's didn't even know what was said. Why do movie's have to do that?



Here's how my house looked after they were finished. I don't know why I always take after pics, but I do.


I just had to snap this shot of the sky tonight. It was quite lovely :)

Overall, this party was super fun (besides 2 boys being stung by hornets in the beginning - yikes!) I think the boys had a great time!
It was fun to do something so unexpected and different.
I am already thinking about next year! Well, I need to get my daughter's party out of the way first ;)

Have a Happy and Creative Day!

Risa

linking!

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap  up           party!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

How fun. All the ways to eat worms are awesome. I am doing back to school parties too. But yours look cooler.

Megs said...

That is the cutest idea. I think I am going to come with my daughter to the next party:)

udy family said...

Pardon my French but, my hell, I think that's the cutest damn thing I think I've ever seen. Seriously, send me over a fried worm! Delish! So stinkin' cute!

Brad Kami and kids said...

Ditto Kassi and that is the sweetest song in the whole world.... love it!

Rebecca Neville said...

So stinking cute! My fav. is the fried hot dogs that look like worms, that is hilarious. oh, and the gazebo with the story underneath! I love my creative friend!

Unknown said...

And of course I have to include this one in the features as well this week!!!

Thanks for sharing at For the Kids Fridays!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...