Sunday, November 4, 2012

DIY wooden puzzle tutorial

If you have read many of my other posts, you know I LOVE my scroll saw!!! Love it! I just made a few of these puzzles this weekend, and they turned out SO awesome!

This is my nephew. Isn't he darling!?!

 

What you will need:

2 pictures - I printed mine on my computer, but you could also have one printed professionally.

A piece of thin board from the hardware store. I got mine at Home Depot.

Spray Adhesive, Home Depot

Scroll saw - I got mine at Harbor Freight. They are on sale right now for $64!!! You can see HERE. Pictured in the link, is the exact model I have.

Sand Paper


1) Trace the photo onto the board, then cut the board out. Do this twice.


If you want, you can cut the photo boarder off with the scroll saw, or you can do it before, or leave it on. Whatever you think looks best.


2) Enter one side, and cut an oval around the photo.



 3) Cut the oval into pieces using your imagination. ALWAYS CUT WITH THE PHOTO FACE UP! I drew a pattern on the back to follow the first time, and it messed up the photo.

4) Sand the bottom edges (not pictured).


It should look like this.


 5) Spray adhesive onto the back of the border piece.


6) Attach the border piece to the back piece.


Put the pieces back in!


Now you have a homemade gift that is darling, and SO personalized!

Just a note: These are not waterproof. I haven't figured that one out yet. I will update if I do. I have thought of plenty of options, but need to test a few out.



Here is another one I made for my CUTE nephew for his birthday yesterday. I just pulled some photos off facebook, and surprised his parents.


 Have a Happy and Creative Day, 
...and ask Santa for a scroll saw. You won't regret it!

Risa

3 comments:

Wendy said...

This is a darling idea! I wonder if you could ModPodge each puzzle piece separately.

Kami @ Sweet Charli... said...

That is so cool! I think it could maybe get addicting!

Anonymous said...

Mod Pidge should seal these, oprobably with varnish on thw wooden back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...