Saturday, December 18, 2010

Babushka Pattern

Many of you have asked for the pattern for the
Babushka Doll Pillow

that I made for my front porch. Here it is... complete with my pin marks and all :) I just scanned the pattern papers I used on a regular piece of paper. I did it on a light background, so it wouldn't take up much ink when you print it. You should be able to click on the images below and print.

This is a pillow I made for my mom in her colors. She loves it!


Patterns:


I cut the head, eyes, and hair out of stiff felt from the craft store.

I didn't use this apron, but thought I would include it. I just cut a strip of fabric in the length and width I thought I wanted for the particular doll.

Here are the body top's:
(I didn't have one for the V-shaped top.
I just used the pattern for the top,
and cut the bottom of it down in a V-shape.
You can be creative, and do whatever you want.



Due to the fabric stretching, you may find that you lay your top on your bottom, and the sides overhang. This is fine, and you can just cut off the excess so the sides match up.


Instructions:

(I didn't take pictures when I made these, but I can explain it.)

See my Basic Pillow Tutorial for instructions on making the pillow with an easy envelope back.

For the Babushka:
(Do all this before you attach the front of the pillow to the back!)

1) Cut out all the fabric pieces you need.
2) Using invisible thread, (found at Hobby Lobby) Stitch the face onto the doll top. I like the invisible thread, so I don't have to chance colors three times.
3) Then using the invisible thread, stitch the hair onto the doll face, and then the eyes. Do the eyes last, so you have them placed properly and not too high.
4) You will want to add any embellishments such as lace, and apron (gather to desired length, and add to body bottom), ribbon or buttons at this point. I found it was easier to add lace trim or ribbon, and turn the sides around the body top at this point, rather than waiting until everything is in place.
5) Pin the body bottom on the pillow fabric. Use lots of pins. I don't use fuse-able interfacing, so proper pinning is crucial.
6) Pin the body top on the pillow fabric, matching up the sides, and cutting away any excess you may need to cut.
7) Top Stitch the body bottom in place as close to the edge as you can. Zig-zag around the edges of the body bottom. (You probably needed to unpin the bottom of the body top to do this.)
8) Top stitch the body top in place, and zig-zag around the edges.
9) Finish by attaching the front of the pillow to the back. There you have it... easy peasy!




Thank you CRAFT SEW for featuring this tutorial!
Thanks
for stopping by!
Have a Happy and Creative Day!

Risa

I am linking!

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up     party!

5 comments:

Wendy said...

So cute!

Dacia said...

Thanks for the blog visit & follow. Congrats on baby & I hope the tutorial helps :) I love this pillow that you created. It's so cute! I'm now following you.

Anonymous said...

Risa, Thanks for your sweet words! You are right...this blogging thing is 'addictive'. Hope you are feeling well. I haven't seen you forever. Consider yourself hugged.

Amnah said...

Thank you for the pattern! I can't wait to try this.

Jeanine said...

Risa, where have you been. Are you OK? I miss you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...