Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Easter Advent Calendar

I was in Hobby Lobby the other day... where else? :) When I saw these darling felt stickers. I knew I need to figure out how to do something with them, so I decided to make an Easter Advent Calendar for my kids.


I have made them advent calendars for other holidays before, but I wanted to do something different with this one. It is a service advent calendar. Each pocket has a little wooden animal inside, and we had a family night to assign tasks to each animal, so when we pull it out of the pocket, we know what we are going to do that day. I made it 12 days long, so it starts two Mondays before Easter, and ends on Good Friday.




This is my favorite pocket! I love the cute little chicks! This did not come in a set. I bought the chicks, attached the trim, rolled a piece of felt, and attached it and the chicks with fabric glue.



The pockets with the pictures of my kids, are for days we do service for that child, like make their bed, or write them a nice note, or both!

I glued the pics of my kids in there with fabric glue. The pics were printed from my pc, and the glue made the ink run on the picture of my daughter, so if you are going to do this, just be careful.



"Cleo the caterpillar likes to pick up trash around the neighborhood. Lets pick up trash with Cleo."



"Buffy the bunny likes to bake cookies for the neighbors."



If you are going to do this project, you will need:

1) 3 individual sheets of felt, cut into fourths.
2) Backing of your choice - I used a thick white canvas type, but you could use felt or anything.
3) Felt stickers and/or shapes
4) Ribbons - I just used what I had around the house.
5) Fabric glue
6) Sewing machine and thread (optional)
7) Wooden characters, or whatever you want in the pockets

Instructions:

1) Lay out backing, shapes, and stickers in the pattern you desire.
2) Cut backing to the size you want, and finish edge weather by sewing or with glue. If you are using felt, you can leave it raw.
3)Attach ribbons to pockets, and turn edges over the sides for a finished look. You can do this by sewing or with glue.
4) Attach pockets to back, and ribbons to the top, either with glue, or sewing.
5) Attach stickers to pockets. You attach stickers after attaching the pockets, because if you are sewing the pockets on, you may have to sew over the stickers. It will look better if you don't.
6) Decide what you are putting in the pockets, and have fun!

Just a note: You can hang with tacks, or by making a fold, sewing or gluing the edge, and sticking a dowel or curtain rod inside.

3 comments:

Candy McCall said...

Loving the Chicky pocket. You have wonderful ideas! Thanks for sharing them with us on this fun new blog.

Brad Kami and kids said...

I wish I was a Baker kid... what a fun mom!

Infarrantly Creative said...

Omgosh this is adorable. if you email me closer to easter I will put this on my facebook and twitter page and get people to come check it out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...